Journal of Heresies

My search for truth in a world of deceit.

Name:
Location: United States

I have what is probably an insatiable desire to search out the answers to what may be impossible questions.

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A dream: dove transformed into an eagle

Ocasionally, I have what I feel are spiritually significant dreams. I tend to get them around this time of year, especially so, nearer to Yom Kippur. I don't have a lot of these dreams, maybe 1-3 a year. When I first began to have them over a decade ago, I fretted about what to do with them. If I didn't tell anyone, was I hiding the revelations given to me? If I tell people, who do I tell? Are the dreams prophetic? Does that make me a prophetess? And so on. All these dreams have one thing in common: they lead me to pray. Over time, I realized that prayer was the main purpose of the dreams, and that unless I was instructed to tell a particular dream to a large number of people, I was not expected to. I now simply treasure the wonder of the gift of sight into the unseen. Once in a while I'll tell a dream to a close friend or family member. I also began to write them down when possible; although certain aspects of the dreams always stay with me, I sometimes forget the finer details over time.

This morning I had one such dream. I woke from it at 5:20 AM merely a half hour before my husband would wake. I didn't want to disturb my husbands sleep, so I didn't turn on a light to write it down. Since this is my personal journal, it seems to be a good place to record what I remember. I'm not putting it here because I think other people need to know about it. I'm just putting it here because it is an aspect of my spiritual journey.

This morning I dreamed that I was outside studying my Bible. Others were also around, each by his/herself in a place of quiet and solitude. The day was nice. As I was pondering the scripture, I saw a vision. A pure white dove was flying at a distance and turned, flying directly at me. It slowed as it neared and I heard a voice saying to go down a certain road, the "road of ____". I can't remember the specific name used for the road. When the vision ended I got up to find the road. A friend was studying nearby, so I went to him and asked if he knew about this road and where I could find it. He said he heard that the road was in a certain place and said it was called by some "the way of _____"(a synonym of the blank above). So we walked until we came to the road, a single lane dirt road like one might find in a state forest. We proceeded down the road for sometime and my friend began to see the vision of the white bird just as I saw it the first time, he pointed and I saw it too. The bird turned toward us and began to slow, gliding with its wings extended just as in my first vision. As it approached it grew in brightness so that everything was as blackness compared to the glory of the white dove and I was awestruck. But, then the brightness of the dove began to fade and our surroundings began to become discernable once again. The dove appeared to falter in its flight. It then transformed into an eagle and swoped away. The vision on the road came to an end and I awakened from my sleep.

Usually, I have a pretty good grasp of the interpretation of my dreams. Sometimes I understand parts but not all, and the understanding comes years later. Most of my dreams include something that was, something that is, and something that I haven't yet known or understood. I am quite uncertain in this dream about what happened with the dove and why it transformed into an eagle. I have ideas as to what the dream is about, but its not very clear to me yet. Since I'm not certain about such an important part of this dream, I'm not going to write down any of what I do understand. The vision of the shining white dove is very strong; I still see it when I close my eyes.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tracey said...

Hi. I've been following your blog for a while and find it interesting.

I too have dreams, some of which seem very symbolic.

I guess the "road" could be your life's path.

The dove could be a representation of G-d.

The dove which usually means some form of peace turning into an eagle which is a bird of prey could be symbolic of a rather pacifistic nature turning aggressive.

That's my two cents at first read. I'd be interested to know what you end up coming up with.

Sweet dreams!

1:56 PM, September 12, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:04 AM, September 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:34 AM, September 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:32 AM, September 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home