Journal of Heresies

My search for truth in a world of deceit.

Name:
Location: United States

I have what is probably an insatiable desire to search out the answers to what may be impossible questions.

Friday, July 28, 2006

The Da Vinci Code's Tragic Flaw

I have finally picked up and read the popular novel, The Da Vinci Code. On pages 251 through 254 of the book, the author Dan Brown tells history as it was. I suspect that these pages are among those about which many Christians have been so disturbed. Discovering that we have been practicing pagan customs and that we have been lied to (or at least misguided) by people who supposedly are the church fathers can not only be shocking but sometimes faith shattering. The important question to ask ourselves when our eyes are opened is this: Who is our faith built on? Have we trusted in the so-called church fathers and their man-made articles of faith? Or, have we trusted in the one true God, Creator of the Universe and His holy promises?

The answer to that question will direct our ultimate response to information like that presented on pages 251-254 of The Da Vinci Code. If we love YHVH our God, with all our heart, mind and soul, then we will turn away from practices and teachings that have been added to those giving to us by YHVH. If we are unwilling to conform to His will, then we have not put our faith in Him, but rather in some man-made image.

The irony of The Da Vinci Code is that while pointing out erroneous beliefs, practices and teachings of the church, it simultaneously presents alternative erroneous beliefs as truth. How is it that Jesus cannot be God (or a god), yet Mary Magdalene can be? The text on page 274 says: "The threat that Mary Magdalene posed to the men of the early church was potentially ruinous... she also had physical proof that the Church's newly proclaimed deity had spawned a mortal bloodline." Yet, the text on the bottom of page 275 says of the books heroic sect: "The Priory of Sion, to this day, still worships Mary Magdalene as the Goddess, the Holy Grail, the Rose, and the Divine Mother." How is what the church has done be any different than what the Priory has done? If Mary was a goddess, how is it then that she and her offspring are mortal?

The greatest asset of Dan Brown's novel is that it will hopefully challenge people to seek out what is true. The quest for truth can be both frightening and exhilarating, but it will never be in vain.

I have seen both the movie, and read the book. I found the book far more interesting than the movie. Dan Brown has artfully woven together very intriguing historical references and viewpoints to take us on an intense journey that is as much about us as it is about his characters. It is thought provoking as well as entertaining, but perhaps not a book for just anyone.

4 Comments:

Blogger fencekicker said...

Shema YHVH,

Thank you for your comments. I haven't really paid much attention to the specific complaints that people have regarding The Da Vinci Code, so I don't know which shocking aspect of history people are most disturbed about. The book contains a large amount of information and ideas that most people have never heard or considered. So, as I read, I reflected on my own quest for truth and my own initial shock at how biased and censored my exposure to religion and history had been.

Whether or not Yahshua was married is to me a non-issue. However, not being married (and therefore not enjoying physically intimate encounters with a woman) would not make him a sexless freak. There were many chaste unmarried 30 year old men in the first century (probably far more than one could ever find today). There was even a Jewish sect whose members took vows of celibacy.

Again, thank you for your comment. Its nice to hear from those who read my blog. :)

11:15 AM, July 30, 2006  
Blogger lkn4truth said...

I'm currently reading the book that supposedly was used by Dan Brown in large part to construct his fictional tale. The book is titled, "Holy Blood, Holy Grail" and thus far is a very interesting read. I got the book in paperback from the library but it is fairly dense and with tiny print. I'm not sure I can read it quickly enough to get it back by the due date!

4:16 PM, August 08, 2006  
Blogger Mozzy said...

i know i'm about 2 years late. i'm hoping these blogs come back to life.

i don't think the catholic church would care as much as the book says even if the story were true. all they'd have to do is have their own experts testify whatever they want them to say and then "viola". end of story. since when has empirical evidence convinced ordinary people about anything religious.

4:39 PM, July 25, 2008  
Blogger fencekicker said...

Mozzy,

Thank you for your comments and all the time you are spending on this blog. I don't think there are many people out there who care about the things that I've written here, and its nice to hear from those who do.

Unfortunately, I don't think this blog is going to come back to life. I've left it up partly for my own reference and partly for people like you who just might come along and feel like there is someone out there to connect with. The spiritual road that I've been on for the past five years is full of pain. I almost wonder if I'd have been better off not taking it.

Keep commenting if you like. I am interested to read what you might have to say. Also, I really appreciated your your comment defending my question in the Bible Challenge post.

fencekicker

8:42 PM, July 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home