Journal of Heresies

My search for truth in a world of deceit.

Name:
Location: United States

I have what is probably an insatiable desire to search out the answers to what may be impossible questions.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Warning to Those Who Keep YHVH's Feasts

I desire to keep the feasts and celebrations which YHVH set forth for us in the Torah (the first five books of the bible). He gave to us these feasts as reminders of what He has done and promised, and to teach us about His relationship with us. For me, keeping the feasts is a blessing.

Recently, I have been doing internet searches to find what groups might be gathering to keep Sukkot (the Feast of Tabernacles) this year. It is nice to be able to celebrate with others. However, I discovered during my search that there are some anti-semitic groups who also hold gatherings for Sukkot. The Anti-Defamation League terms these as "Christian Identity" groups and gives the following description which can be found at the ADL website:

Christian Identity is a religious ideology popular in extreme right-wing circles. Adherents believe that whites of European descent can be traced back to the "Lost Tribes of Israel." Many consider Jews to be the Satanic offspring of Eve and the Serpent, while non-whites are "mud peoples" created before Adam and Eve. Its virulent racist and anti-Semitic beliefs are usually accompanied by extreme anti-government sentiments. Despite its small size, Christian Identity influences virtually all white supremacist and extreme anti-government movements. It has also informed criminal behavior ranging from hate crimes to acts of terrorism.


The ADL website also contains a list of events held by known Christian Identity groups, and a history of the movement.

While there is nothing wrong with some people thinking that they are descended from the lost tribes of Israel, an attitude of racial supremacy is gravely erroneous. Ironically, Joseph (father of Ephraim and Mannasseh, two of the lost tribes)was married to an Egyptian woman who was very likely dark-skinned. This of course means that Ephraim and Mannasseh and all their offspring were/are racially mixed.

Anyway, I want fellow feast keepers to be careful as they look for others with whom to celebrate.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with the general aim of your post, but I would take anything the ADL says with a large grain of salt. They're a bit on the delusional side at times.

10:49 AM, July 19, 2006  
Blogger fencekicker said...

Jay,

Thank you for your comment. :)

I don't really have any personal experience with ADL. However, I have encountered some people who potentially fit into the description that they provide.

In fact that is one reason I was searching for places to go for the feast; my husband and I are not comfortable with a certain group in our state and would prefer to join with people who aren't so domineering and paranoid.

Anyway, its easy to overlook certain issues when you want so much to serve YHVH and to be with others who want the same. Yet, a person shouldn't assume that everyone who keeps the feasts has the same beliefs and values as he/she does.

I should also say that I believe that most people who keep the feasts are very sincere and loving believers.

Shalom :)

10:53 PM, July 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home